Friday, May 13, 2011

What to do? What to do? What to do?




Since I was old enough to form opinions, I have been an advocate for social justice. I believe that all people have the right to lives that are without hunger and want. I believe that opportunities should be available to all without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, age, etc.

Today, I have been questioning my “beliefs” because I am realizing that “sayin’ ain’t doin.’” Sure, I write checks to support worthy causes, both at church and in the community. Sure, I donate items I can no longer use. Sure, I even crochet shawls and lap afghans for our support of the women’s shelter.

I know I could do more.

Smokey, my husband, recently had the opportunity to attend the Florida-Bahamas Synod gathering and has made me think about how we could more fully participate in helping others who are in real need. He was introduced to the notion that there really ARE programs and agencies that are in place locally – all we need to do is support what they are doing to relieve suffering and want. We do not have to spend energy re-inventing programs and processes – we just have to roll up our sleeves and get involved in their good work.

We’re supporting the mission work in which our youth are engaged, and have been impressed with the impact of their giving when they return from such trips. They have talked about how they felt closer to God and each other when they engaged in helping in the most basic ways. Those feelings don’t have to be limited to youth; there are plenty of ways for adults to get involved in helping those facing really devastating times right now and right here.

I’m going to look for a way to serve right in my own community. Please join me in this effort to operationalize what social justice really means.

Author: Diane Bechtold

3 comments:

beth said...

Absolutely Amen!

lotusreaching said...

Awesome Diane. It's really true. There's terrific stuff happening right underneath our noses. Often re-creating the wheel isn't necessary and may even rob good energy and resources from meritorious things all ready underway.

Thanks for the challenge. There's work to do...

Dennis McClellan said...

I recall growing up in a small German Reformed church outside of Philadelphia, PA -- a church that was always showing us pictures of how mission dollars were being put to good use in foreign lands. I can't remember one time hearing about local poverty or reaching out to single parents or veterans' concerns. These issues were never mentioned.

Times have changed. Thank God. And, thank God for people interested in social causes -- and St. Stephen has many, who see "local causes" and "local mission" something well worth their attention.

Both Diane and Nathan are correct in recognizing that tried-and-true tools exist for many of us to become involved and put to use in serving people within a "local radius" of St. Stephn. Variations on the existing paradigms might be created, but they shouldn't threaten existing programs. Just consider how many homeless (including school-age children) live within walking distance of St. Stephen. This is a mission into which I could sink my teeth.

Diane is so correct, when she says: "Sayin' ain't doin."

Dennis McClellan