Sunday, October 5, 2008

Day 30 - "YES, YOU CAN!" - by helping each other

Team Hoyt - World´s strongest Dad - An Inspiration

I saw a clip on these two at a leadership conference last year. Dick and Rick Hoyt, a father son team that together have run over 950 races, 60 marathons, and 6 Ironman triathlongs.

Rick was born in '62 with cerebral palsey. The doctors told his parents to institutionalize him. But they refused and resolved to raise him as normally as they could. At some point Rick heard about a fundraising race for a disabled athlete and asked his father Dick if they could participate.

They did.

Rick told his dad after the race: "Dad, when we're running I feel like my disability disappears."

Dick says that after all these races, "...he is competing and I'm loaning him my arms and my legs so he can compete."

Are you weeping yet? Every time I see these two...

Oh...we human beings are capable of so much ugliness and despair. But then you see things like this, and can see into the human heart the divine imprint...and see that deep down we really do in fact reflect God.

Reflecting God, the Triune God, is about reflecting the best in community. It's about digging deep into each other's plight and raising each other up in faith, hope, and love.

This morning as you hit this day running, just remember, with the help of those around you, and with the help of the God who raises the dead, "Yes, you can!"

God loves you and I do too!

Pastor Nathan

No comments: