Thursday, October 9, 2008

Day 33 -- The Shape of RESONANCE: Where Gifts and Passion Come Together

I was in the 7th grade when I heard Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" for the first time. It was an achingly beautiful song I thought...and as it played it stopped me dead in my tracks. I remember the sounds, smells, and location of that moment. I was standing in a gas station on Tucson's east side waiting for a ride. At the time I was selling the Tucson Daily Star to afternoon rush hour drivers on their way home from work.

It was an experience of RESONANCE. This song connected with me...and it was a thing of beauty. It probably won't connect with you the same way...but there is something that you have experience that has caused you to take pause. When we behold things of beauty they literally strike us, like a guitarist plucking a string. If I play an E on my guitar loudly enough and there are other guitars around, all the other E strings will resonate to that sound.

It is a beautiful thing when the gifts God has placed inside us connect with our passions (those things we love to do) and the ways in which God is calling us to serve in the world. If you've ever beheld someone doing exactly what God's designed them to do, you pause and are instantly transported into praise for the beauty of the myriad expression of the plan of God.

Like listening to Connie Touchton sing her beautiful mezzo soprano voice or let loose the Pipe Organ -- it's simply beautiful.

When we use our gifts, connected with what we love to do and are uniquely designed by God to do...our souls sing. The tragic thing is that so many of us haven't discovered the hum of our souls playing the song each is uniquely designed to play.

Which is the search we all have to go on. Srcipture is insistant that the body isn't strong unless we're all playing the instruments we were designed to play. There's only one orchestrat...but each of us has a chair in it and role in the song of creation and redemption and healing and love.

My prayer for you today is that you would discover your song...and the beautiful instrument you have to play to make the music that adds to the beauty of life.

From Atlanta where the leaves are turning yellow, orange, and brown...

Pastor Nathan

No comments: