Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lenten Reflection - Day 1:by Margene Wampole


READING: 1 Corinthians 5: 20b- 6:10

Lent is a time of renewal. Of letting go the negatives in our life and taking time to reflect. My parents had a strong faith in God the Creator, Jesus the love of God made flesh, the Holy Spirit the breath of God within us. They passed on their beliefs in the lives they led. But each one of us makes our own personal relationship with God or not. I am a questioner with a love of learning and I sought to discover what I really believed. My moment came when I realized God Loves Me knowing full well my weaknesses, that His love is not earned or deserved and has no strings attached. I asked that He never let me stray too far away on my own controlling path but to guide my choices and redirect me to love others as He loves us.

It was possible to give my love to our children without demanding it be deserved or earned. We can accept children as they are while we do our best to guide them in ways that will make their life better and teach them the reasons for living with others harmoniously. No matter their weaknesses we love them and try to help them find better choices. As they grow we give them more responsibility to learn cause and effect. We make sure they know we always love them even if we do not like their behavior. Could it be a little like God does in dealing with us?

Lent is a time of letting go our judgments, our jealousies, controlling possessiveness and angers toward others. A time to turn outward instead of holding tightly to our hurts and disappointments. Time to release love to spread and multiply.

Lord God let me give my love to others as you have given your love to me. Help me appreciate and respect others, giving more than I receive. Pour your grace on me and guide my choices for I want to learn to trust in you. I ask this in the name of your Son, Jesus, who willingly died on the cross in complete trust in you. Amen.



No comments: