Thursday, February 26, 2009

Leten Reflection Day 3: by Susan Wollner


READING: Matthew 6: 1-6, 16-21


In Chapter six of Matthew, Jesus teaches some very basic principals in life including forgiveness, helping the needy, fasting, sharing God’s gifts and prayer. As I reflect on my relationship with our Lord I remember back to my youth. I was blessed to be raised in a Christian family having been baptized as an infant and confirmed as a youth but, my faith became real through prayer. We had a wonderful women lead the church youth in a weekly prayer meeting. She was an inspiration to us all in the joy she shared reminding me of Christ’s words to put oil on your head and wash your face as you fast. She smiled as she taught us about fasting and prayer. Through her actions she showed us how to give and where the real treasures in life are. Her love of Christ was a living example of the true Christian life. Throughout the years her openness to the Holy Spirit and acceptance of our prayer at every level has helped me to realize the power of prayer and the joy of the Holy Spirit.
As we observe Lent, I remember back to a special Easter when I was sixteen and staying with a family in Italy. Language was a barrier but they welcomed me in their home. Easter celebration included a chocolate egg with jewelry inside for the wife and all the trimmings but no religious celebration. A silent prayer was answered when a teenage friend of the family offered to take me to church with her. Years later I don’t remember the service but I do remember the joy of worshiping together on Easter.
I give thanks that the youth of Solid Rock have such a wonderful understanding of God’s love and pray that each of us will take time during Lent to offer our praise to God in prayer.

No comments: