Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day 12 -- The Fragrance of the Resurrection...


"Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly."
Romans 12:16

I am a part of a an advanced church leadership coaching network run by a United Methodist pastor named Bill Easum. He moved my cheese recently when he commented on our list serve that if you want to be effective in ministry today, "...you need to be spending at least 15% of your time in coffee shops and other public places meeting and building relationships with non-Christians."

I know I don't get that much time in. But when Starbuck's is in the budget, I walk in in a different way. I'm starting to take the time to get to know the regulars behind the counter by name, ask them how their day is going (genuinely), and then offer genuine and authentic encouragment. If I get a chance, I'll ask deeper questions, learning who they are and what they are passionate about. The cool thing? They smile when they see me now. Not the fake smile of the person behind the counter who's paid to take your order, but the smile of someone greeting someone who is familiar and who they believe values them. What's even cooler? They're starting to ask questions back. That's really cool. And it's a sign...of relationship.

I took stock today of how many friends I have outside of my Christian faith. It's less than a handful off people. What's more, when I asked myself how many of them I actually hang out with, the answer was zero.

If my baptismal vocation is to be salt and light in this world, not selling people Jesus but letting them in on the God in Jesus who has their backs...the only God that raises the dead, then I'm not doing a very good job.

The question for me at the end of this life isn't going to be, "How many of the Saints thought you were a great pastor?" The question will be, "How many people experienced the transforming power of God's kingdom because when you walked by, they caught the fragrance of the resurrection?"

Now THAT'S the question. What I do know is this: the gym and Starbuck's are now wonderful opportunities for blessing. And me? I'm getting more fragrant by the day.

How about you?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think alot about life among non-Christians. I am married to one, and for 30 years have been discovering how the world sees "us". Most of the time, relationships like ours goes the way most married couple relationships go. But with his family and community, sometimes, I realize how many things I experience while in my faith community remain unspoken, but still communicated. Having the need to (opportunity to ?) verbally communicate/explain some of those things while in my non-Christian relationships has been interesting for the last 30+ years! I think this has made me examine my faith in a different way, although I have never felt challenged by my non-Christians friends and family. The challenge has come from having to put some of my faith's beliefs into words.

lotusreaching said...

This is great reflection...and thanks for the sharing of it. The non-believer dynamic in a marriage must make for an interesting twist. And yet, in your marriage, like mine WITH a believer, we both have the opportunity to practice the kingdom with another. Perhaps the synergy of the practice is different...but it's presence in our lives no less necessary.

BTW...who are you? Your ID just says Panitac. Do you mind if I have your name for the sake of a little more conscious community?

Regardless, blessings on your day.

PN

Anonymous said...

I am Anita Canteenwalla, collector of turquoise and silver and admirer of your watch (which I deny vehemently could ever be construed as gaudy!).

lotusreaching said...

You're terrific Anita. Thanks for giving me your identity, and for confessing that you like the watch too! I love it. And it is most certainly not gaudy!

Peace and laughter! :-)

Pastor Nathan

Renee said...

Thanks for posting Anita. I can relate to your message. I am amazed by the conversations I am able to have with non-believers. Especially my husband of 10 years.

I have an wonderful story to share. While re-certifying my CPR instructor status Evelyn told us that one day her daughter came home from school and said her day was just ok. She had been hungry. Evelyn asked if she didn't have enough to eat. The daughter revealed that she was sharing her lunch with two other girls that didn't bring their lunch because their mother couldn't afford it. Sometimes they will go all weekend without eating much until the mother got her paycheck on Monday. Evelyn said why don't we just pack enough food for 3. So everyday Evelyn packs enough food for 3. The daughter also discovered that the friend didn't have enough school clothes. So they took her shopping. I just was so taken by the fact that the daughter was making these sacrifice without say what is in it for me? We ask kids to learn lessons from us but what would the world be like if we read a page from their book. Kids are funny but their love is so immense. Sorry so long.

Renee said...

Sorry that was Renee that just posted. I also think your watch is great. I have alway admired turquoise.

lotusreaching said...

Renee...thanks for letting us know who was talking. And thanks for checking in.

Peace!

PN