Monday, April 11, 2011

Lenten Reflection - April 11th


Written by: Peter Lund

Reading: Psalm 43

1 Vindicate me, my God, and plead my cause against an unfaithful nation. Rescue me from those who are deceitful and wicked. 2 You are God my stronghold. Why have you rejected me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy? 3 Send me your light and your faithful care, let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. 4 Then I will go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God. 5 Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

As seems to be the case with many of the psalms, Psalm 43 is a cry to God for help. I have always been a “doubter,” and to be completely honest, I have always been very skeptical. I know some people who have never had any trouble believing, but I am not someone who fits that description. Despite having been a religion major in college (or perhaps because of it), I find myself doubting my faith most of the time. Over the course of my life, however, I have truly come to view my doubt as a gift; to me, after all of the doubt, after all of the seeking and struggling with questions, finally making a break through, even if it is just a glimpse, is worth the entire journey. As such, I have always been drawn to a psalm such as this, because the psalmist expresses doubts of his own, asking why God has “rejected him.” However, after having seemingly doubted God, the psalmist ends with a message of hope in verse 5.

I can understand the feelings the psalmist has, because despite any doubts and skepticism, the underlying faith in God is always there, and gives us hope. The Lenten season is a time that reminds me very much of my faith life: it can be a long and sometimes dark journey, but it is a journey that always ends with Light, and the Resurrection.

Prayer: Lord, in the words of the 9th Chapter of Mark, “I believe; help me overcome my unbelief.” In this Lenten season, help me see through the darkness of my doubts, to the Light of your Resurrection. Amen.

No comments: