Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lenten Reflection - April 8th


Written by: Lisa Krist

Reading: Psalm 30:8-10

8 To you, LORD, I called; to the Lord I cried for mercy: 9 “What is gained if I am silenced, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it proclaim your faithfulness? 10 Hear, LORD, and be merciful to me; LORD, be my help.” I admit it. I am a prayer peeker. I can’t keep my eyes closed during Pastor’s prayer – even when his words are meaningful and valid. I find myself looking around at all the other people who seem so comfortable with their heads bowed and their hands folded together, and I wonder, “Does God hear me even though I don’t pray as peacefully as they do?” I prefer to talk to God during afternoon walks with chirping birds and children’s voices acting as background noise; to reflect on my blessings while waiting in a carpool line; and to ask for His favor when I hear ambulance sirens and know that (as my daughter says), “Someone isn’t having a very good day.” Lent is a time to reflect on the sacrifice made by Jesus Christ and to give thanks for His resurrection. It is a time to join together in service so that we are reminded of the story of His life and the gift He gave to us. Lent is a formal time to pray, but it is not the only time to pray.

Dear God: Thank you for giving me 24/7 access to you through prayer. The season of Lent is a time to be mindful of the suffering and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and to be thankful for the hope that He brings to the world. Please help me to be less selfish and more selfless during this time of reflection, and to give thanks to God for all that I am blessed with.

No comments: