Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lenten Reflection - April 15th


Written by: Bonnie Broadie

Reading: Romans 6:5

5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.

In this scripture, God is reminding us that we are one with Jesus through our Baptism and through his death and resurrection. Our baptism is our constant reminder that Jesus died for us allowing us to live in His eternal path. When Jesus was buried in the tomb, we too were buried with him. When He rose to salvation through the glory of the Father, we also began a new life with the Father. The 40 day journey leading up to Christ’s death and resurrection allows Christians to focus on how God wants his only son’s death to be the reason for us to live in eternal faith with Jesus. During the 40 days of Lent, I reflect on my faith with God and how he has given his only son for me. I wonder what I would do if I were asked to give up one of my children. The idea of sacrificing in order to be united with God should be very simple. But in our every day struggles, the mere thought of giving up something can be a challenge in and of itself. But God never thought twice to give up his son for us.


Dear Heavenly Father, Help me to be that unselfish, caring disciple of Christ when asked to sacrifice or to give unto you and to my neighbor. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

No comments: