Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Advent Devotional - Day 11: by Peter Lund


READING: 2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16

“Go and tell my servant David: Thus says the Lord: Are you the one to build me a house to live in?......
From the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel; and I will give you rest from all your enemies. Moreover the Lord declares to you that the Lord will make you a house.”
2 Samuel 7:5 & 11

In this passage, God promises blessings to David for his intent to build a temple for the Lord. What I really focused on in this passage, however, is in verse 5, when God says “Are you the one who should build me a house to dwell in,” and again in verse 7, when God says “did I ever speak a word to any one of the tribes of Israel… saying: ‘Why have you not built me a house of cedar?’” Finally, in verse 11, God states that He will make a house for David (and all of Israel) to dwell in. The key to our relationship with God has nothing to do with the “house” in which we put Him – doing so only attempts to put restrictions on God, to place in him a setting to fit “our likeness.” Instead of restricting God to a certain location, the key to our relationship is to be God’s people in the world, to strive for Justice and Righteousness. Doing so fulfills God’s intended purpose, and brings us more fully into his Kingdom – which is the “house” he promises to make for us, in verse 11.

Dear Lord, help me to work for Justice in this world, and to reflect the light of your Kingdom. Help me to see your presence everywhere in the world, and not restrict your presence to the places that I see fit. Amen.

No comments: