Thursday, December 18, 2008

Advent Devotional - Day 20: by Anita Bergh


READING: Luke 1:39-45

“Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.”
Luke 1: 42

This passage, though brief, conveys the essence of joyous expectation. Both Mary and Elizabeth are sharing the wonder and marvel of human life, which they are privileged to bear. Mary’s response to Elizabeth, “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior”, carries the sheer excitement and wonder of what is happening to her.

The entire world knows about the Christian celebration of “Christmas”, but I often think it is only those who have been disciples of Christ throughout the year who can most deeply celebrate. Not that the element of spiritual uplifting doesn’t reach everybody in some way, but to “rejoice in God my Savior” all the months leading up to December is to truly feel the excitement of Christmas.

It seems that all at once the world has been plunged into an era of financial crisis. The casual, though sometimes hectic pace of life has now begun to test all of us. Suppose all the “trappings” of Christmas were stripped from December activity. Would we be able to say with fervor, “My spirit rejoices in God my Savior”? Oh, yes, I think we could.

Dear Jesus, help us to sing with Mary’s song in our hearts so that it permeates all we do this Christmas season, and we can say with fervor, “My spirit rejoices in God my Savior!”

Mary’s Song: Luke 1:46-55

No comments: