Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lenten Reflection - Ash Wednesday, March 9th


Reading: Psalms 51:1-12
By: Matthew Swope

Sometimes God shouts…not in an angry way, but in a way that hits us over the head with His Word. As I reflected upon Psalm 51 today, He did just that. The psalmist’s cries for mercy and forgiveness struck with memories from my high school days. First, today I received a facebook message from a high school acquaintance. In the note, my former classmate apologized for an offense committed long ago. Although this particular incident was long forgiven and indeed long forgotten, the delayed apology reminded me of my own role in confessing and seeking God’s forgiveness.

In continuing the “shouting,” God’s Word also brought fond memories of high school youth group in which we would close each meeting with a circle prayer around a solitary candle. This was a time for sharing, for confession, for healing, and for embracing others. Following the prayer time, we would sing the last few verses of Psalm 51, asking God to “create in [us] a clean heart.”

Whether in high school or away from high school longer than we care to admit, we are reminded by the psalmist’s words of the need for confession and forgiveness. Likewise, we see brilliant reminders of God’s comfort and grace. During this time of Lent, we too approach God with contrite hearts, acknowledging our flaws and our sinful ways. In doing so, we look to the true “joy of [God’s] salvation” as fully realized on Easter morning.

Lord God, this season I pray that I will rise each day with a pure heart and a renewed spirit, striving to hold steadfast to your enduring Word. Restore me, sustain me, and lead me in a life worthy of you. Amen

No comments: