Sunday, March 13, 2011

Preparing for Easter


Lent entered my consciousness, this year, after having had a discussion with several of my friends about the upcoming season, and how each of us might keep a “Lenten discipline.” Having been a Lutheran all my life, and having grown up in a largely Roman Catholic neighborhood, I am keenly aware of the traditions that have many of us eschewing chocolate, particular foods, favorite activities, Facebook and the like “for Lent”; however, I have often wondered if those “deprivations” really did anything beyond helping the individual lose weight, spend less money, or have more personal time.

I know the model for self-deprivation is Jesus’ rejection of the temptation of earthly food and power that Satan dangled; however, it occurs to me that, like Jesus, we might think less of ourselves during this time of preparation and prayer and, instead, use the Lenten discipline to try to serve others.

What I’m suggesting is to change something about ourselves that is a burden to others -for example – maybe that tongue of yours that is quick to criticize could be curbed to “love others,” maybe the funds that would have been spent on chocolate, movies, etc. could be donated to another. Maybe, instead of depriving yourself, you could do something extra to serve others.

I’m going to try to change one of my most obnoxious behaviors toward others. Will you join me? Diane Bechtold

No comments: