Monday, March 14, 2011

Lenten Reflection - March 14th


Written by: Barbara Vincent

Reading: Psalm 25:1-10
1 In you, LORD my God,
I put my trust.

2 I trust in you;
do not let me be put to shame,
nor let my enemies triumph over me.
3 No one who hopes in you
will ever be put to shame,
but shame will come on those
who are treacherous without cause.

4 Show me your ways, LORD,
teach me your paths.
5 Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.
6 Remember, LORD, your great mercy and love,
for they are from of old.
7 Do not remember the sins of my youth
and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me,
for you, LORD, are good.

8 Good and upright is the LORD;
therefore he instructs sinners in his ways.
9 He guides the humble in what is right
and teaches them his way.
10 All the ways of the LORD are loving and faithful
toward those who keep the demands of his covenant.

As a child and young adult, my prayers fell into 4 categories; “thank you” prayers, “bless and keep” prayers, “help and please” prayers, and “redemption” prayers, filled with remorse and regrets for daily transgressions. In retrospect, most of the last group were minor and my guilt was often exaggerated. Through prayer and in time, I found the strength to own-up, face the consequences and get on with life; prayers helped so much! I knew that the Lord heard me, that He would guide and help me to be a better friend, daughter, and eventually, wife and mother. Steadfast love and faithfulness were the paths I needed to follow – I still do! My prayers haven’t changed that much either.

Dear Lord, Just as David did, I put my faith and trust in you everyday. I remain assured that you will always be with me, guiding and teaching. Ours is a lifetime of waiting; Lent is a season of opportunity to learn more about patience, faith, and salvation. Amen.

No comments: