Monday, December 3, 2012

Advent Devotional - Day 4


DECEMBER 4 – Jeremiah 1: 4-10
By: Bruce Hobert

Through these words of Scripture, we are reminded that Jeremiah’s story begins with a divine call. This call would lead him into forty years of faithful, yet reluctant ministry, an experience that involved deep personal struggle. This has led the church to describe Jeremiah as the “weeping prophet.”

Jeremiah’s witness reminds us that there is no call without conflict, and no divine summons without human struggle. But there is, however, great news imbedded in this text. That news includes the fact that in the midst of the conflict and struggle, God gave Jeremiah something more precious than just a persistent exhortation to persevere. God promised his divine presence. “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you a prophet to the nations. So do not be afraid, for I am with you” (1:4–10).

This promise of God is for us, also…. a promise sealed within us at our baptism, a promise refreshed in us at the communion table, and a promise discovered again and again as we encounter God’s Word. So, let us not be afraid, but let us cling to this promise for this day….. and then another day, etc.

Gracious Lord, help me to hold on to the promise of your presence today. May I have the audacity and the courage to believe that Your divine presence will give perspective to all my problems. May I see your hand at work in any conflict or any brokenness I may experience today. Amen.

No comments: