Monday, December 7, 2009

Advent Devotional - Day 10: by Sandy Davis


December 8, 2009
READING: 1 Samuel 7:3-6

Then Samuel said to all the house of Israel, "If you are returning to the Lord with all your heart, then put away the foreign gods and the Astartes from amon you. Direct your heart to the Lord, andserve him only, and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines." So Israel put away the Baals and the Astartes, and they served the Lord only.
1 Samuel 7:3-4

My faith was truly tested in 2001 when my Mom passed away suddenly from an asthma attack. I couldn’t believe that after only 53 short years, God had chosen to call her home. I couldn’t help feeling regret over “things left unsaid” and phone calls cut short because, let’s face it, there’s always tomorrow, right?

The angst I felt over not knowing if she was okay kept me up at night. I prayed and prayed for God to give me some sign that she was in good hands. I would sacrifice anything just to make sure she was safe and happy.

One night my prayers were answered when my Mom came to me in a dream. She had “telephoned” me to ask how I was doing. I had all sorts of questions for her…did she like being in Heaven and was she there with other members of our family. She assured me that everything was fine, like all mothers do, and that I need not worry about it anymore. She will always be with me watching over me.

As I awoke, I truly felt an inner peace, knowing that God had answered my prayers

Heavenly Father,
Keep us ever mindful of your presense. Let us not forget that all we need do is ask when we need you near and to comfort us. Amen.

No comments: