Thursday, December 3, 2009

Advent Devotional - Day 6: by Gail Seeram


December 4, 2009
READING: Luke 1:26-38

The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus.” ….. The angel said to her, “The Holy spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called Son of God.”

Luke 1: 30-31, 35

This story illustrates the journey God can place on our lives and how these journeys can help us come to faith or expand our faith. Mary, an unwed virgin, is being told by an Angel that she will conceive a child and he will be the Son of the Most High. For most women, the news of conceiving a child is exciting and is received as a blessing but for Mary she is afraid by this news. Mary questions the Angel, but after receiving a vague explanation that ended with “For nothing will be impossible with God”, Mary accepts God’s will. Mary says yes to God’s plan for her life and reaffirmed that she was a servant of the Lord.

As with Mary, God speaks to us daily in our lives, but do we also answer “yes”? Saying “yes” to God and sacrificing our plan for his plan is not an easy task.. Five years ago, I said “yes” to God and moved to Florida and left an established career and life-long friends in New York to follow a “plan” in Florida. There were many days where I questioned God and his plan for my life and career. Eventually, I saw God’s plan unfold and although I still wanted to follow my plan, I submitted myself as a servant to God and his plan. Now, five years later, I can appreciate God’s plan and purpose for my life although it was not clear to me at the time.

Now, whenever I am faced with life’s many challenges, I always remind myself that nothing is impossible with God (as stated in this passage) and only what is done for God and his Kingdom will last. Peace & love to you all.

Lord Jesus, let us remember that you have a plan for us and help us keep our ears open to hear what it is. And then follow you. Amen.

No comments: