Friday, December 4, 2009

Advent Devotional - Day 9: by Peter Lund


December 7, 2009
READING: John 1:6-8

There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe.”
John 1:6-7

“He himself was not the light, but he came to testify to the light.” I’m not sure about you, but isn’t it nice to receive accolades? I love it; I can never get enough of it! Perhaps I have a slightly narcissistic streak, maybe I’m too self-centered, or maybe, I’m just HUMAN. I think human nature tends towards self-centeredness, especially when one is in a position of power. Along comes John, and right away, people think he’s special. Some people are even starting to dream big, and begin to question whether he may be the long-awaited Messiah. In other words – he’s a well-liked guy – receiving the accolades that we all love! Many people, in such a situation, would probably develop a mindset along the lines of, “You know what? I really AM great! Everybody’s right about me!” And over time, they would focus more and more on their own agenda. I’m sure even John would have been tempted to do so – a call from God doesn’t guarantee that someone will respond. I seem to recall a certain Jonah being told to go to Nineveh, so what does he do? He runs away… In the other direction… But that’s not what John does – he states that he is simply there to proclaim the One who is to come. He deflects all of the praise, and even calls himself unworthy. John, to me, serves as a reminder of how we are to center our lives – not on ourselves, but on Jesus. In this time of Advent, let us remember to be like John, and center our lives and our focus on what truly matters.

Lord, help us to remember to focus on you always, and keep you at the center of our lives.
Amen.

No comments: