Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Advent Devotional - Day 25: by Joe Anderson


December 23, 2009
READING: Hebrews 1:1-6

For to which of the angels did God ever say,
“You are my son; today I have become your Father”?
Or again,
“I will be his Father, and he will be my Son”?
And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world he says,
“Let all God’s angels worship him.”
Hebrews 1: 5-6

One of the more important things we say as children is “My dad can whup your dad any day of the week.” Believing that childish little taunt let’s me sleep at night, sure in the knowledge that my dad can save me from all the harms that hide in my closet, and under my bed.

It turns out that nations need the same kind of reassurance. And so do congregations. Hebrews tells me that my Jesus can whup your gods any day of the week. He’s also bigger and stronger and wiser than the priests, scribes and Pharisees. Same thing goes for princes, kings and potentates. Heck, he’s even better than Moses and Elijah, and you know how they whupped up on everybody. To top it all off, Jesus can even whup a whole company of arch-angels with one hand tied behind his back.

Let the child in you rest easy this Advent season, in the secure knowledge that your Savior is awake.

My Lord and Savior, let us all rest easy in the knowledge that you are our Savior, King and the one true God. There are no others but YOU. Amen.

No comments: