Wednesday, December 10, 2014


Advent Devotional, December 10, 2014
Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-24
Written by:  Char Klima

I am having a difficult day today.  There is so much to do.  It’s almost Christmas!  The world news is doom and gloom.  My children are arguing and my boss is grumpy.  I don’t feel up to par.  In fact, I’m tempted to just give up.

Wait!  Paul has an answer for that!  Paul is writing to his new Christina friends in Thessalonica.  They, too, feel pressured, tired and downright scared.    Rejoice always, says Paul.  What?  Rejoice and pray and give thanks without ceasing.  Why?  Because that is exactly what God want you to do.  Resist the temptation to declare defeat.  Instead, we are instructed to demonstrate God’s Spirit alive and well in our world.

How can we possibly succeed?  Paul declares God Himself will uphold you and sustain your body, soul, and spirit.  What’s in it for me?  God wins and has destined you and me and all of us for eternal life with Him.  Therefore, REJOICE.  Rejoice Always!

Precious Lord:  Be with me as I face the challenges of today.   Let your spirit shine through me into the world that needs to see your face and grace.  Amen.


No comments: