Wednesday, December 3, 2014


Advent Devotional, December 3rd, 2014
Reading:  John 13: 34-35
Written by:  Yolanda Butler

Jesus commands us to love one another as he loves us all. What a powerful command! 

These words are spoken after Jesus identified Judas as the disciple that would betray him. The other disciples mistake Judas' departure with a bag of coins as an opportunity for him to purchase more for the feast or to give to the poor.  
We, of course, have learned through bible study that Judas was using that bag of coins to, in fact, betray Jesus. We also have learned that Jesus continued to love Judas and all mankind as he sacrificed his life for our sins.


The Advent season brings about the feeling of LOVE. Families gather to exchange tokens and to share meals, charities benefits, pets are adopted, and feelings of generosity seem to permeate the air. I try to reflect daily on how I love year round. I love my relatives. I love my friends. I love my church family. I love my co-workers (most of the time) :-) And, I try very hard to love my enemies. I do my best to do as Jesus has commanded.
Jesus has commanded that we love. He showed, through his actions, how to love all. If only our world would follow the example given to us.

Prayer- Dear Lord, you loved us all so much that you sent your son into this world to teach us how to love unconditionally. Help us to follow the commandment to love one another as you have loved. Thank you for showing us that "All you need is love". Show us how to let our love shine to all we encounter in good and bad times.  This we pray in the name of Jesus our greatest teacher. Amen

No comments: