Monday, December 8, 2014


Advent Devotional, December 8, 2014
Reading:  Jeremiah 31: 1-3
Written by:  Peter Lund


In preparation for writing this devotional, I consulted two different translations of this verse.  In so doing, I noticed something very interesting: the first translation I read put Verse 2 in the past tense, stating “A people that survived the sword found favor in the wilderness,” whereas the second translation referenced this event as being forthcoming in the future: “The people who survive the sword will find favor in the wilderness.”  So which is it?  What is the “correct” translation from the original Hebrew writing?  I suppose I could have simply consulted Pastor Nathan or Pastor Jared, but instead I wanted to consider the implications of what each option might mean, and I think the answer is: BOTH interpretations are valid.  Jeremiah wrote during captivity; his prophecies began prior to the Babylonian captivity, and continued after the destruction of Solomon’s Temple.  I think, therefore, that his message can refer to the fact that the people of Israel had previously endured captivity, and had been freed, but we can ALSO interpret his message as saying that, though they are being held captive again, God will lead them to freedom once more. 


Ultimately, isn’t the message – on a smaller scale – true for each of us, in our own lives?  We face adversity, yet we overcome it; when new forms of adversity emerge once again, we can look back and see that we survived it previously, and we know that by trusting in God, we can get through it once again.  So whichever translation of Jeremiah you are reading – whether it references surviving the sword and finding favor in the past or future tense – I believe that both are EQUALLY valid.  

No comments: