Friday, December 10, 2010

Advent Devotion - December 13th


16th Day of Advent
Written by: Carol Bechberger

Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not despise the works of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; abstain from every form of evil.”
1 Thessalonians 5: 16-22

I started early this year decorating my house for Christmas. Why? Because I am now alone, and it takes me days to complete my project. I look forward to seeing my house all decked out. I love Christmas. But this is also a season that brings on a variety of strong emotions. I felt sad as I looked at the small tree that belonged to my mother. It was to be her last tree. I also felt sad and lonely as I looked at the small trinkets my husband and I had purchased as sweet memories of our travels around the world. I was also filled with delight as I placed red poinsettias and pink roses around sweet little birds and beautiful butterflies, a bit of nature to grace my tree. I have always believed that depression and too much sadness and other negative feelings block out our ability to feel God’s presence. I must remain expectant and joyful and deeply grateful to God. And so I began to talk to Jesus. “This is your tree Jesus. I hope you like it. I have some of your beautiful creations represented here. It’s your birthday tree!” And I began to sing softly, “Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday Dear Jesus”. As 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24 reminds me; “be joyful always. Pray continually. Give thanks in all circumstances.”

Lord Jesus, may I feel the joy of your presence during this wonderful Christmas season. Amen.

No comments: