Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Advent Devotion - December 16th


19th Day of Advent
Written by: Anita Bergh

Reading: Jeremiah 31:31-34

The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant that I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt..”
Jeremiah 31: 31-32a

“It’s a gift! It’s a gift!” shouts the child as the delivery man deposits a package at the door on or about December 24th. And the child is jumping with joy. That is the way I picture myself as I read about the “covenant” God has given us, his people. The covenant lets us know with absolute certainty that he remembers our sin no more. (vs. 34) “ …. for I will forgive their iniquity, and remember their sin no more.” We celebrate, with a new spirit, the great gift of the covenant ---we are free to jump and shout, “It’s a Gift!”

Oh Lord, this Advent instill your goodness in my heart, just as you have promised through your covenant with us . Your covenant will be the pinnacle of joy for all of us this Advent season. Amen.

No comments: