Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent Devotion - December 3rd


6th Day of Advent
Written by: Becky Rotroff

Reading: Luke 1:26-38
The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus.” ….. The angel said to her, “The Holy spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called Son of God.”

Luke 1: 30-31, 35

How powerful is this story of both Mary and Joseph’s faith? Is your faith strong enough today to handle such a visit and similar news?

Many times I’ve put myself in Mary’s shoes 2000 plus years ago and wondered what would I do if the angel Gabriel appeared before me and said I was going to have a baby who would reign over a country? I’m afraid my first response might not be the same as Mary’s, although I pray it would be.

We are all familiar with the WWJD wrist bands that truly set the standard for living our lives. My question today is this… WWYD – “What would YOU do” if an angel appeared before you and made a proclamation from God? Are you spending quiet time each day with God so you can hear Him? We are all so busy, especially this time of year, so how many “angels” in our daily lives do we miss?
At this Advent season, let’s all spend more quiet time listening to what our all powerful God is saying to each of us and trusting in Him. “For nothing is impossible with God.” Need I say more than verse 37?

Dear Lord, thank you for loving us even when we might not hear you above all the noise of our lives and thank you for choosing Mary. Amen.

WWYD?

No comments: