Thursday, December 23, 2010

Advent Devotion - December 24th


27th Day of Advent
Written by: Nicole Eastwood

Reading: Psalm 46:7-11

“Be still , and know that I am God!
I am exalted among the nations,
I am exalted in the earth.”
Psalm 46:10

The name “Emmanuel” means “God with us.” Jesus is God come to earth – never to be separated from His people. This is made perfectly clear when the curtain in the temple (once used to separate worshippers from God) was torn in two from top to bottom at the moment of Jesus’ redeeming death (Mark 15:38).

Since God is with us always, how do we respond? Do we talk with God all the time? Do we start to forget God’s presence until we need something? In this busy Advent season, do we rush with our to-do lists, making time for God only on Christmas Eve or Sunday? I’ve often wrestled with Psalm 46:10’s call to “Be still and know I am God.” I don’t like to do anything slowly. Never mind-stop and be still!

Ever present God: This season I pray that I will choose to be present with you in spite of my hurriedness and busyness. Grant me the patience to slow down and spend time with you. Thank you for being with me always. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: