Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Advent Devotion - December 2nd


5th Day of Advent
Written by: Shirley Evans

Reading: Psalm 89:19-26
Once you spoke in a vision, to your faithful people you said: “I have energized a warrior; I have raised up a young man from the people. I have found David, my servant. With my sacred oil I have anointed him.
Psalm 89: 19-20

We often think of Advent as a season that focuses on the New Testament. Yet throughout the Old Testament, God continued to show to His people His love, forgiveness, faithfulness and the coming promise. In Psalm 89:19-26, the words of God describe the election of David as king over his people, to assure God’s protection and describe David’s successful rule from the Euphrates to the Mediterranean Sea. Because of God’s original covenant, David proclaims, “You are my Father, my God, the Rock my savior.” In this time of Advent, we look beyond David to the promise of the New Covenant delivered through Jesus Christ and proclaim: you are my God, my rock and my Savior.

Dear Lord, today let me remember the promise, the faithfulness, love and grace you extended to your people throughout the ages and realize they extend to me today and always. Amen.

No comments: