Monday, December 13, 2010

Advent Devotion - December 14th


17th Day of Advent
Written by: Dennis McClellan

Reading: John 1:19-28

19-21. This is the testimony given by John when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” He confessed and did not deny it, but confessed, “I am not the Messiah.” And they asked him. “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” …..
26. John answered them, “I baptize with water. Among you stands one whom you do not know, the one who is coming after me…
John 1: 19-21, 26

For a very long time, people had been waiting for a Messiah…for generations they had waited. They were impatient and many were scared. They thought they knew what to expect, but really weren’t sure in what form such a savior would appear. John the Baptist was approached and asked (“challenged” is most likely appropriate), but he wouldn’t make any claim to being the anticipated Christ. And perhaps he added to the frustration when he referred to himself as someone calling from the wilderness and instructing the world to prepare for the arrival of Jesus (who he described as an individual whose “sandals I am not worthy to untie”).

We, like those ancient people, are eager to know the Messiah. Advent makes us eager for his arrival. But, with all the preparation, anticipation and excitement, it is important to understand, as John made clear, that we are to “make straight the way of the Lord.”
- - - - - - -
God, grant me the strength to remain focused on the goal: the arrival of the one true Messiah, and not be diverted by the false prophets in my life. Keep me aware that the special relationship he offers can’t be purchased or handed over to me by someone else. The love and forgiveness Christ brings with his birth is far beyond my complete understanding, but it is for me to become a stronger disciple for him and prepare others to be his disciples. Amen.

No comments: