Sunday, March 16, 2014

Lent 2014 - March 17

MARCH 17 – Matthew 20:20-22
By: Elaine Cornelius

A Mother’s Request
20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came up to him with her sons, and kneeling before him she asked him for something. 21 And he said to her, “What do you want?” She said to him, “Say that these two sons of mine are to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom.” 22 Jesus answered, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am to drink?” They said to him, “We are able.”

Parents want the best for their kids. The mother in this story is no different. She knows kings are powerful and those around them are respected. She believes Jesus will be a powerful king when His reign begins and she wants her boys at the very center midst of it. She is strong enough to ask for what she wants. She is determined.

Jesus’ response to her is not really the answer she was seeking. He doesn’t give her the assurance it will happen. He instead tells her she doesn’t know what she is asking. He then poses a question. He doesn’t elaborate on what His cup holds, but asks if they can drink it. Without hesitation, all three respond that they are able. They were sure in their ability to do what was needed for Christ’s kingdom.

This woman was asked what she wanted. She responded with an ambitious request. She did not let her lack of understanding stop her. Her reply made it clear she was “all in” on her quest to be linked to Christ’s kingdom. I think the boldness of this mom’s conversation with Christ says a lot about her faith and her willingness to do what was needed. It makes me ask myself if I am willing to ask the questions to be all God wants me to be in Christ’s kingdom.

Prayer
Lord, when I answer your call, help me to respond with confidence. Remind me as I make my choices You will lead me along the path I am to go. Help me to be bold in sharing my faith in You with the rest of the world. Amen.

No comments: