Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Lent 2014 - March 8

 MARCH 8 – Isaiah 58:9-14
By: Shirley Evans

I thought of two things as I read this scripture – in verse 9, the Lord answers our call and says, “Here I am.” This is a God who listens, who loves us and has compassion. He is not a distant God, but someone close and available. What a wonderful feeling!

The second thing – the old saying, “It is better to give than to receive.” It came to mind as I reflected on the remainder of the passage. When we give of our self, give out of our heart and soul, the reward  to us is much greater than we could ever imagine. Think of a time when you helped someone – gave them food, a ride, fulfilled a need they had – and found a sense of peace, a warmth in your heart, not because you did something good for your own glorification, but just because they needed it. God’s promise is like that – His free gift of love, mercy and grace.

Prayer
Dear God, thank you for being with me today and for your continuing blessing and love. Let me share that love with someone today through an act of kindness that you have taught us. Amen.

No comments: