Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Lent 2014 - March 18

MARCH 18 – Luke 16:19-31
By: Maureen Collins

In the parable of the rich man and the beggar Lazarus (meaning God is my help), Jesus paints a picture of contrasts: heaven and hell, compassion and indifference, inclusion and exclusion, riches and poverty.

Having just returned from Haiti, I experienced the timelessness of Jesus’ teaching. I expected the abject poverty of this country would cause an air of despair, individually and collectively for citizens and visitors alike, but I was mistaken, in a profound way. Amidst the poverty were children and adults that are full of compassion, hope and helping those less fortunate. I saw multitudes of rich people…rich in spirit.

The rich man did not go to hell because of his wealth but because of his selfishness and unwillingness to help others in need. Is your life abundant in riches? Do you know the joy and freedom of possessing God as your only treasure?

Prayer
Lord, as you have blessed me in abundant and material riches on earth, increase my understanding that real treasure is found in your way of happiness. Give me a generous heart that I may freely share with others the treasure you have given me. Amen.

No comments: