Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lenten Reflection - Day 15: by Carolyn Champagne



READING: Matthew 3: 1-17

In reading this text about John the Baptist and the baptism of Jesus Christ, it makes me think of my sons baptisms. For each child the day was very special. Kevin was baptized on an Easter Sunday, which made it even more memorable, even though he screamed like a banshee. I remember the feeling of strong emotion and yet a feeling of peace too. The presence of the Holy Spirit was felt as both children were blessed by God. I feel the same way today, as children are brought before the baptismal font to be baptized “in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit”. He makes His presence known and felt. It gives you added strength and a reminder to carry out His command to bring little children unto Him.

And yet there are many adults out there who have not been baptize either, who have not felt the calm and peace that comes from knowing Jesus. It is our responsibility to bring all people to Christ, to be baptized in the saving water of the word. I love the part of this text that states:
“ And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, the Beloved.” with whom I am well pleased.”
Matthew 3: 16-17

Don’t you think He does the same for each of us? I think He does.

No comments: