Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lenten Reflection - Day 29: by Jim & Carol Detzel



READING: Amos 5: 18-24

“Woe to you who long for the day of the Lord!” Are you ready? What if Jesus returned today – are you ready? The Jews of Amos’ time were asking for the coming of the Lord, but they would experience only “darkness, not light.” They were holding feasts celebrating pagan gods and God was not pleased. Their hearts were not right with God and he “….will not listen to the music of your harps.” They were reveling in their celebrations but not honoring God. It was an outward expression that was not based on true love and adoration for God. It was a sham.

“Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them.” Why would God not accept their offerings? It is because they were not from the first and the best. The offerings were merely a “show” of their respect for a God that had done so much for them. WOW! Did this strike home! Many years ago, I would sit down on Sunday mornings and pay my bills and calculate what I would need for the following week. Only then would I write the check for our weekly offering to the church. How about that? Not burnt offerings, but I was giving leftovers to God! I was not giving the best or the first. How pleasing must that have been to a Lord that had given his life as atonement for my sins? I think not much.

During the course of a 3-day weekend retreat I realized that I could experience Jesus in a more personal relationship than I ever had imagined. He walked with me daily, and all I had to do was PAY ATTENTION.

Many of us have seen the picture “Footprints in the Sand.” It depicts Christ walking with us on our journey, and yet sometimes there is only one set of footprints. It is then that Christ is carrying us. I came to realize how many times I had been carried by Christ – and yet, I was offering leftovers. I realized that all I have is a gift from God – talents, good health, and a loving family – what was I offering in return? Suffice to say, I have revised my bill-paying routine to put my offering ahead of my own wants. In this time of Lent, let us examine our daily routines to see what time we have for God. Or, perhaps adjust our schedule to put God first – start the day in prayer and thanksgiving and ask for His guidance as we journey through the day.

Dear God, please let us recognize that all we have is a gift from you. Once we accept your grace and forgiveness, we offer our gifts in thanksgiving and take the time to spread the word of your goodness and mercy. Amen.

No comments: