Monday, March 30, 2009

Lenten Reflection - Day 35: by Troy & Angela Goetz



READING: John 12: 20-33

“Why don’t we pray together for God to bring us a baby?” When my husband spoke these words, I knew our faith was real. These words took both of us by surprise since neither of us was very religious. We had been trying to have a baby for some time. I thought for sure I was being punished by God because of sins from the past.

Troy always believed, yet didn’t feel a need to attend Church. He felt it was more casual, he knew the basics. I wasn’t sure I believed, and felt going to church would help me get there. Once we started going, we both felt this peace, this wholeness that we hadn’t felt before. Suddenly it became o.k. to talk about God and this even brought us closer. So when Troy asked me to pray with him for the first time in our 13 years together, we both knew what faith truly felt like. We didn’t know what we were missing until we came to know God and each other in this way.

I no longer think I was being punished, but brought to have a relationship with God that I couldn’t imagine before this time in our lives. As for that prayer, it was answered and we have beautiful baby Christopher. We like to consider him our little ‘miracle of faith’.

No comments: