Monday, March 2, 2009

Lenten Reflection - Day 7: by Kay St. Pierre



READING: Mark 1: 9-15

After spending more than fifty years in a main-line religion, attending their schools, educating my children in their schools and teaching in their schools, I felt a need – not necessarily for something “different”, but definitely for something “more”. The story of David in 2 Samuel 6, ‘dancing before the Lord with all his might…with shouts and the sound of trumpets’ kept coming to mind and I felt a need to be able to really worship God. While I never needed to “dance” up the church aisles, my faith-life did grow exponentially in an Evangelical, Pentecostal church where I was baptized by immersion (an incredible experience), and received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. I was called to go on a mission trip to Uganda (another incredible experience) to share my faith with lovely people who did not know Christ. I cherish the history and traditions of my up-bringing and eventually followed my husband, Al to St. Stephen’s. I continue to learn a lot about the Lutheran church and I already cherish everyone I have met here. I know I have the freedom to “worship” here – and, no, I won’t dance up the aisles – unless we have liturgical dance at some point, and then I just might! But I loved having an Advent season again and know that having a Lenten season in my life again this year will be yet another time of walking with and growing closer to the Lord. Thank You, Jesus, for what You did for us. Our God is so incredible.

No comments: