Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lenten Reflection - Day 16: by Becky Rotroff



READING: Psalm 42: 1-5

I was brought up in an Indiana Presbyterian Church. My Mother made sure, no matter whether we were home or on vacation, that my sister and I went to Sunday School or Church. I got all the pins each year for perfect attendance and really never had reason to question my faith – I was a Christian because I always went to Church, could recite Bible verses and prayers. I had a blessed life - a wonderful family, college degrees and was popular with my friends.

It wasn’t until several years later when I found myself in a situation that all of my education didn’t prepare me for and it was then I discovered what faith truly means. I would pray every day for God to “fix” my problem; to “rescue” me; to “protect” me; to “save” me. Guess what?? Nothing happened! So, I continued to pray all over again the next day. This went on for longer than I care to admit and my situation only got worse. I even tried making deals with God. I’d promise to do something once He did something for me. And guess what??? Nothing happened.

Then, in the wee hours one morning I sat quietly and actually listened for God. What I heard was to trust Him and that I had to do something – not sit and wait for God to do it for me. So, I made plans to do just that – leave an abusive man who threatened to take my life if I left. It was then I had an overwhelming sense of calm and peace. Looking back, I honestly didn’t know what would happen – literally if I would live or die. But I did know that I was protected by a God who loved me and that all would be ok.

I continue to be so blessed in my life since those days that seem to be another lifetime ago. I found love again and have wonderful friends to share my life with. And, in wee hours of the morning, I still listen for God.

No comments: