Thursday, March 19, 2009

Lenten Reflection - Day 23: by Ryan Traher, Solid Rock Youth



READING: Psalm 43

I was thoroughly worried that tragedy would hurt my relationship with God one day. However, I never thought it could give me a better understanding of life and actually help my relationship with God. Thankfully, only the latter occurred.

When my best friend Lauren Detrio was killed by a drunk driver I was devastated. I was determined to keep my faith in God, and although that wasn’t much of a problem, I never really turned to Him for help. The reason for this was that the only thing I would have asked Him was “why?” and that was the last thing I wanted. If I started asking “why”, it would only lead to doubt. So instead I just kept thinking “there has to be a reason that I am not meant to understand behind this.”

Looking back this had a very large effect on my outlook on life and my relationship with God. I realize that in this very twisted world, despite being afraid sometimes, we need to turn to God for help. We think we can do it all on our own, and we can’t. I didn’t realize how much losing someone so close to me really affected me, but change is rarely instantaneous. After looking at what I was like a year ago before it all took place, I realized that now I am a very different person with very different views, and a very different but better connection to my faith in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who can help and save me in any situation.

No comments: